Monday, December 14, 2015

HEELLLOOOO!…Week 67

Kjære alle sammen!
      
Woah. Its getting cold! I LOVE IT! I think my Cali blood is being changed into Norwegian! I love the cold! It hasn’t snowed in awhile but everything is just covered in frost! Skien is trying to prepare for the snow but the clouds aren't giving it! Grrrr! Oh well :) This week was a week of love! We have been visiting a lot of members lately and it has been so special! I love spending time with my members! Just loving them and them loving me and my companion! I love  sharing experiences I’ve had with them and helping them learn how to share God’s love with their friends! Let me tell you, Norway has some STRONG members! They do so much! I am eternally grateful for the goodness I have been able to see while serving in this incredible mission. It has been really hard but really worth it! :) I love my mission!
     
So this Sunday we had a big ward party! St. Lucia was this week and we celebrated it last night before we watched the Christmas devotional. The bishops’  twin daughters dressed in all white and had a crown of gold and candles as we sung the St. Lucia song. They walked through everyone as we sat there at our tables and sung. It was so special. I do not know all the historical details about St. Lucia but I do know she is a symbol of peace. One thing we eat in honor of her are these yellow rolls. They mean something but I don’t remember...hahaha... I think she made them for like a peace thingy... or something... I am going to ask this week!  (Mom note: see below a post from my Swedish friend regarding St. Lucia Day)
     
We have been contacting a lot which is fun and talking to a lot of interesting people. I have a story for you! We started talking to this little old man and asked him if he was having a good Christmas so far and he just started talking all about Jesus Christ and how much he loved him... and then he went CRAZY! He saw that we were missionaries which means we were apart of an organized religion and he just started quoting right out of the bible, word for word, and yelling about how we needed to run away from all organized religion and how all we need is JESUS! JESUS! JESUS! AND THEN... he grabbed my arm and Søster Randall’s arm and got really close to our faces as he started pushing us backwards and screaming scripture. He definitely was not well in the head and it was sad but I grabbed his hand, looked him in the eye and said "Merry Christmas" and put my arm around my companion and walked away. He started laughing and said, "You too!!!". The next time I looked back he was standing in the road talking...to... someone? Oh my Norway. :) 
     
Well other then that, things have been about the same! We’re doing our best and working hard! I love you all lots and lots! Have a great week! 

Gud vær med deg til vi  sees igjen! 


Søster Neilson :)

St. Lucia Scandinavian Tradition:
One of the biggest celebrations in Sweden is St. Lucia's Day ( or Saint Lucy's day) on December 13th. Celebration of this day started in the late 1700s. Love this tradition so much, Filled with light, charity and fun family time....The celebration comes from stories told by Monks who first brought Christianity to Sweden. Saint Lucy was a Christian girl who was martyred killed for her faith, in 340AD.The story told about Lucy is that she would secretly bring food to the persecuted Christians in Rome, who lived in hiding in the catacombs under the city. She would wear the candles on her head so she could find her way, at the same time using both her hands to carry the food and other items needed. St. Lucia's day is celebrated by a girl dressed in white, with a red sash around her waist, and a crown of candles on her head. The crown is made of lingonberry,which are evergreen, and symbolize new life. Schools and cities chose a Lucia. Also a national Lucia is chosen. Lucia visits hospitals, and do other charitable acts, while singing special songs that has to do with Lucia. In families, the girl dress up like Lucia and sing for their parents. Lucia is joined by the star boys and star girls with candles but not on their heads. Buns flavored with saffron and and ginger cookies are traditionally served. This tradition is celebrated also in Norway, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Bosnia, Italy and Croatia. :)


Julenissen! <3


This is a box the Relief Society put
out. It says, "gifts for missionaries"! :)


Right now it's EMPTY! :(


St. Lucia Celebration with the ward! <3


St. Lucia saffron rolls! Yum!


Christmas in Norway! <3


Nativity Scene! <3


"I was making bread and dropped the 
glass bowl on the floor and it 
shattered! I guess I still live up 
to my nickname, 'Messy Molly!'"
-Søster Neilson 


One of her FAVORITE breakfasts
musli, yogurt, and banana! :)


This isn't snow! It's FROST!


BEAUTIFUL Norway at sunset…3:00PM


BEAUTIFUL Soul in Norway! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment